Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Once Upon A Fairy Tale Lesson...

What is a Fairy Tale?

We started our fairy tale unit, outside, in the fresh air. We sat in our backyard on a beach mat. First, I asked the kids "What is a Fairy Tale?" and "What do we know about Fairy Tales?" After hearing their responses, we discussed what things one might find in a fairy tale.

What Might you Find in a Fairy Tale?

I took three stories and read only the first and last sentence of each. Cinderella, Snow White, and The Three Little Pigs all started with a version of "Once Upon A Time.." and ended with something similar to "happily ever after." I also noted how there are sets of threes in The 3 Little Pigs, Goldilocks, and The 3 Billy Goats Gruff. I went on to list common elements and they came up with a few on their own such as "princesses being kissed by a prince."

List of Common Elements in Fairy Tales:

  • Begins with "Once upon a time..." or take place long ago.
  • Ends with "happily ever after" or a happy ending.
  • Reoccurring elements or sets of three's or seven's (three bears, seven dwarfs)
  • Good characters such as a hero or prince
  • Bad characters such as a witch or evil stepmother
  • Magical elements, fantasy such as talking animals
  • Setting in a castle, or forest
  • The story has problem or conflict
  • The problem is solved
To conclude,  I read to them The Three Little Pigs. Afterwards, I showed them a collection of books - all fairy tales - we had at home and some I checked out at the library. I left it up to them to choose which and when to read.

List of Fairy Tale Books we used:



Disney's Magical Tales Set:
Charming Tales & Enchanted Tales

Fairy Tale Paper Basket Activity

I read The Three Billy Goats Gruff to my toddler right before his nap. Then, during his nap the girls worked on the small woven paper basket craft that I posted a few weeks ago.

We usually do a craft project while he sleeps because the girls stay concentrated and keep quiet for their little brother. I did not plan the baskets as part of our fairy tale unit but it went so well with it because the kids noticed baskets and weaving in a couple of stories they read.

These are perfect for going outside to collect flowers. Click here for the paper basket tutorial for kids.

For all our fairy tale activities go to Fairy Tale Unit Activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment