Friday, June 13, 2014

Enchanting Castle Posters: Fairytale Story Map Project

Welcome back to our fairy tale lesson plan series. My kids have been reading several classic fairy tale books. I asked them to choose one of the stories to create a fairy tale poster.

Originally, I was looking online for a free printable story map, but as it usually happens - I didn't print it out.

Don't get me wrong, I did find something I liked.

I liked this one from education.com

... and this one from Simply Sweet Teaching

But my kids have made it perfectly clear that they "love art" and "making stuff." So... I tend to use worksheets as guides or to get ideas of what to teach next. Instead of giving the kids, say, a printed chart, I have them draw it. And just about every time, writing has to be coupled with drawing. So inspired by these two cute castle story maps, I came up with this fairy tale project

Castle Story Map Poster

I gave them a big white paper, construction paper, pencils, markers, glue, and crayons. I had cut a few shapes out of color paper to show them how they could be pieced together to make a castle. My instructions were simple: use any color construction paper to make the pieces for your castle. The shapes I cut can be used as templates, if they wished, but they had to make their own. I usually don't give lots of instruction and I only help if they ask for it. This is how I choose to help them become good problem solvers.

Quick Q&A (what my 6 year old asked):
Q. Can my castle be different than yours? A. Yes
Q. Can I use glitter? A. Yes

For the writing portion of this project. I asked them to write the title, setting, magical elements, bad characters, good characters, the problem, and the ending (how the problem got solved). Along with the writing, I suggested they add illustrations, maybe a favorite character, and a favorite scene.

MyBallerina chose "The Three Little Pigs." Here's her poster:
KinderDropOut chose "Goldilocks." Here's her poster:

No comments:

Post a Comment